Tuesday, 11 June 2013

Day Five: Ramen Day!!

Jess had to go to uni today and Stu had work so Quentin and I thought we would go to Machida (and get the train by ourselves!!) to have a look around. Stu didn't start til 1pm so we met Jess and a couple of her uni friends at a place in Tamagawa to have Ramen for lunch. I wasn't sure if I would like it because it has pork in it and I never liked pork when we used to eat meat. 

You order from like a vending machine in the restaurant and it gives you tickets to give to the workers. I got a normal Tamagawa style ramen apparently, and added extra vegetables. Quentin just got the normal one and so did Stu, and Jess got hers with extra seaweed. It was super massive and made me wish I hadn't eaten breakfast! It was really yum though, even the pork, Quentin said it was yum to me because it was so salty which was probably true. 

They have condiments on the tables like chopped garlic (yum!), chili, soy sauce, vinegar (not sure why you would want that), chili sauce and sesame seeds so that all makes it extra yum. We pretty much failed at eating it though, there was so much left over! I am a fan of ramen now though. 

Jess went back to Uni after that and Stu went to work so Quentin and I went to Machida on the train, all by ourselves! We were quite proud of that. We walked around the town for a few hours looking at all the shops and all the Engrish signs and stuff which was entertaining. Also we saw an "Oceania Style Cafe" which had flat whites and eggs benedict and big breakfasts and stuff which we told Jess about later and she was super excited to be able to get brunch. 

We got tired after awhile so decided to go back to Tamagawa. We got there without getting lost and went to the supermarket to get stuff for dinner, which is a bit hard when you don't know what anything is and can't read the labels! We ended up getting gyoza, edamame, salad stuff, some kind of cup of noodle thing for Quentin and some cup of soup for me, as well as breakfast stuff. The bread here is weird because it doesn't have crusts and comes in packs of six or eight. Also I'm pretty sure they only have white bread. Quentin wanted to get some other bread but we weren't sure if it had cheese or icing on it so we didn't get that. 

We went to seven eleven to try and get tuna triangles (sushi) and had to ask a guy who worked there. When Jess got back from uni she told us he had given us salmon instead so we didn't eat those! We had a really awesome dinner though of salad, edamame, gyoza, inari and a dish Jess made called Mapo Tofu which is like a mince and tofu dish served on rice. It's so crazy we are leaving soon, I am already used to living here!

Ramens!

Poor sad kitty :(

Walking the streets

Inside Machida station

NZ style cafe apparently - weird stretched photo

Dinner! Nom

1 comment: