Saturday, 20 July 2013

Day Fourty: Florence and the machine (or just Florence)

This morning there was still noone else where we had stayed the night so we hung out there for awhile thinking we would drive to Florence after lunch and hopefully it would be cooler when we got there. Also I am still sick so just lying around reading was good. We had a picnic lunch and lay in the van for ages because it was shady and nice and cool. We watched an ant with a massive piece of bread (compared to the ant) trying to take it back to its home for awhile but it was making slow progress.

We packed up after lunch and drove into Florence. It was probably about 3 by the time we got there but it was still 36 degrees! It is so hot everywhere here, I am looking forward to Switzerland and Germany where it will hopefully be a bit cooler! We parked in the centre of Florence and walked around the city. The centre where we were was all really old and they had heaps of statues everywhere and buildings with turrets like old castles. We saw a place selling cannolis so we went in to try one and have some cold coffee. I am glad that they sell cold coffee everywhere here because it is always so hot! The cannoli was really yum, like pastry on the outside coated with chocolate and filled with something creamy but not too sweet. I'm not sure what the inside stuff was but I liked it.

After that we went and checked out the church/cathedral which had scaffolding up over part of it since they were doing rennovations. The rest of it was amazing though, all white and green marble I think and it looked quite different to all the other ones we had seen. There were really big lines to go in so we just looked around the outside and continued looking around the city. There is a river running through the middle of the city and there were some people fishing in it but I'm not sure if they were catching anything.

After looking around Florence we headed out of the city and started going up into some mountains until we found a cool place to stay near a little town. There wasn't anyone there again so we had the place to ourselves. We had forgotten to get gas for the cooker though so we had sandwiches for dinner. We have had more sandwiches on this trip than I think I have had in the rest of my life! I wish we had some sushi but I have a feeling we will have to wait until we get back to England for that. Not long to go now though, it seems like we have been on this holiday forever but it will have to end sometime!

It was actually quite cool where we were staying the night, only about 25 degrees which was nice for a change. It was quiet as well since I think we were a bit in the middle of nowhere and there weren't many people around.

Just a few of the million statues!

Town square

More statue plus castle backdrop

Basically the best church/cathedral ever!

We are there!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment