We got up pretty early this morning to get into Rome and the drive in was quick but finding the camp was pretty difficult, it ended up being way down this road which looked like a driveway but luckily we found it anyway and the lady who checked us in was English and really nice and gave us some maps of Rome and the Metro and stuff so we would know how to get around. We went and found a good spot for our camper which had shade!! So exciting! And then made some cheese, tuna and tomato toasties for breakfast and got the shuttle to the metro station.
We decided to have three days in Rome and see different parts each day, one will be the Vatican, one will be the Colleseum and around there and today we were going to see the Pantheon and some other stuff. We had to get two different train lines but it wasn't too hard since they have most stuff in English here as well. We arrived at the station which is right by the Spanish Steps which were not particularly interesting but they are famous for some reason so we looked at them. Around that area is also the richie shopping area although I don't know why you would come to Rome to shop!
After that we went to see the Trevi Fountain which was awesome, defo the best fountain I have ever seen. Way touristed out though. Oh on the way there we stopped for lunch at a place which looked busy with local people (always a good sign right?) and got a margarita pizza, lasanga and some beers. The pizza was enormous! And also delicious. I think we will be eating a lot of pizza in Italy. The lasange was good too but not as good as the pizza. The guy who served us was really nice and I think was trying to look at my tattoos but a lady working there was telling him off.
After the Trevi fountain we headed to another Piazza (I forget their names) which was amazing! The building there which I think is a military museum was so impressive! But basically evrywhere you go in Rome there is something awesome to look at, it is totally my favourite so far. We walked around the city for awhile making our way towards the Pantheon. Quentin went and had a look at some old ruins which had been excavated and just left as they are since the 1930s. I didn't go to look at them because it was too sunny there and I had to stay in the shade so I didn't pass out!
Then we came to a different Piazza which had a cool egyptian obelisk and another good fountain but it had nothing on the Trevi Fountain. Heaps of people were going around eating cake and it reminded me that I want to try an cannoli while I am here but need to find one first. After that we went just down the road to the Pantheon which was amazing! Such a cool building. It has some tombs of ancient kings there but I don't think you can go in them. Just around the corner from the Pantheon we saw a monk sitting and holding another monk above his head (see photo) which looks intense!
Then we made our way back towards the Metro station after stopping to get cappucino milkshakes at McDonalds (they are the best!) and getting some wine from the supermarket. We found some sprite zero, my favourite drink, for the first time since we left NZ, I am happy! We got out two trains and shuttle back to camp and got to have showers (!) and are now drinking wine and having chips for dinner since we are still full from lunch! There are some Contiki people staying here and it sounds like they are having a party. I miss parties! But this wine is good.
| Quentin on the Spanish Steps |
| Trevi Fountain |
| Military Museum Building |
| Pantheon |
| Inside the Pantheon |
| Crazy guys! |
No comments:
Post a Comment