Monday, 1 July 2013

Day Twenty-Two: To Spain!

This morning someone in the camp was playing rap which was an interesting way to wake up! We had heinz baked beans on toast for breakfast (not as good as watties but way better than oak!) and then we went to the beach so I could have a swim and Quentin could not, apparently he doesn't like swimming. When we were walking down I saw some people in the sea wearing wetsuits and was a bit scared it would be too cold but I think it was warmer than Wellington on a good day! After we had a swim we made lunch and packed up to head to Spain, exciting!

We drove for awhile and the houses and scenery started to get a bit different, the houses all still matched but they were different to the ones we had seen so far, and then I looked at the GPS and realised we were already in Spain! They don't seem to have any border control or anything. Also we accidently went a weird way, we were going to go via San Sebastian but instead we went over some mountainous terrain which was cool, it was a lot like New Zealand. I saw the first sheep since we have been here as well.

They keep having signs oof things to look out for which all have four things, usually a man walking, a man on a tractor, a bicycle by itself and a horse and cart! I wonder how much you really have to worry about horse and carts? We did see a man driving a farm type truck full of artichokes. They also have signs for deer but theirs look jumpier and more like reindeer than the ones in France. Also the drivers seem less crazy and the road signs are better so I like Spain so far! They have a million wind turbines and solar panels everywhere so they must be doing pretty well with the renewable energy.

After coming over the mountainous part which was super green and jungly we are now driving in like a massive flat desert kind of area which makes me think of the American Midwest although I haven't seen it yet. You can see hills and stuff in the distance but here it is pretty brown and dusty and windy and seems to go on forever. The place we are going to stop for the night is about halfway across Spain on our way to Barcelona so we should get there tomorrow which will be cool.

We also saw a sign for burger king today, we didn't see any of those in France although we did always see a place called Buffalo Grill which we still mean to go to since they are everywhere. I'm interested to see what Spain has lots of and also super excited for tapas and paella! Yay Spain!

We stayed the night at a roadside place after driving for ages in desert and heaps of other cool scenery/landscape. It was mostly like a truckstop kind of place but there were also some other campers there. They had a 24 hour shop, a restaurant, bathrooms and showers and stuff but it was a bit noisy with the trucks coming and going in the morning. Quentin got some donuts and chocolate from the shop and said that they were better than he expected from a petrol station type shop. I think he wants donuts everyday.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment