Monday, 15 July 2013

Day Thirty-Five: Gelato!!

When we woke up this morning heaps of men were getting their boats ready to go out, maybe to do some fishing. We moved into the shade to make breakfast and decide where to go for the day. We wanted to go somewhere close to Rome but stay outside it for the night so we could arrive early at the campsite we wanted to go to the next day and have a day of sightseeing in Rome so we found a place called Marina something near the beach to head towards.

We stopped into a small town that I didn't notice the name of to get some lunch and groceries. We got our second pizza there, I got one with zucchini, tomato and goats cheese and Quentin got one with tomato and mozzarella, they were both delicious! Even though you don't get heaps of toppings on the pizza here the flavours make them so yum I could eat them every day!

On the way there we were going through a town called Tarquinia (I think) which is apparently a town where people have got the most knowledge about the Etrusian people who hadn't left much of their history in other areas. They have some tombs and stuff there that you can go to but we ended up just walking around the city which was up on a hill and still surrounded by old stone walls with sweet towers and some castle bits.

We walked around and saw some awesome old stuff and a cool old church which looked like noone had ever done anything to it since ancient times but I think they still used it as a church. It was all just stone inside, it didn't have any fancy paintings or mosaic or anything like a lot we had seen. All the streets were super skinny and I was surprised that people could actually get their vehicles around in there!

As usual I was getting too hot (man I suck at heat!) so we went into a gelato shop and got some gelato. I got coffee, strawberry and lemon and Quentin got chocolate, hazelnut and gingerbread. My fave was coffee and then chocolate but lemon was the most refreshing. The gingerbread one actually tasted exactly like gingerbread, it was crazy! I think gelato is in my top three foods this trip now with ramen and pizza! Lets see what can top it.

After we left that town we only had to drive for about an hour to the Marina town where we wanted to stay. I didn't actually see a Marina but they did have a beach so we went and did some sunbathing and swimming in the evening. It was windy so not too hot which was nice for a change. Then we went and parked in what we thought would be a quiet end of the street near the beach to make dinner (gnocchi in basil sauce, yum!) and sleep. What a mistake!

In the old city

Statues are everywhere!

Castle much?

The old old church we went in

Sweet view from the castle walls

Gelato!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment