Wednesday, 24 July 2013

Day Fourty-Seven: Chillin at a castle

This morning was overcast which was the first time it hadn't been super sunny for I don't know how long! There were even a few raindrops! Not many though so it was still pretty hot. I miss the cool mountains! We had some breakfast at the camp and got all our stuff organised. I thought about going for another swim in the lake but couldn't be bothered so we packed up and went into Heidelberg to have a look at the town and the castle there which was supposed to be pretty cool.

The town had a big river running through it and some big fancy houses on the side opposite us, with the majority of the town on the side of the river we were on. We drove up the hill to the castle (schloss in german) and walked through the grounds to get to it. There were quite a lot of people there having picnics and reading in the park and stuff like that. I was just telling Quentin about how I wanted to find a place selling bratwurst  (no idea if I am spelling that right!) so I could try one when we came to the ticket office and there was a place next to it selling bratwurst! I had to get one to try and it was actually really good. I haven't had a non-vege sausage for years I don't think so it was a bit different. I would have one again though. They had one called a fire-sausage as well but I wasn't brave enough to try that one.

We went in to have a look at the castle which was really old and awesome. Obviously people had been coming to see it for a long long time since people had written their names on the walls from as far back as the 1800s! It was really cool to see that people were still doing the same stuff back then! There was a restaurant in the castle where you could do some wine tasting but we didn't feel like wine, too hot! There was a cable car which goes up the hill from the town to the castle and then further up so we had a ride on that as well to check out the view. Then we walked around the grounds some more and got back on the road.

It seems like you can't really avoid going on motorways in Germany, even when you set the GPS to avoid them so we have mostly been on them except for when we go off to have a look at a town. We drove for a few hours before it was dinner time and went to McDonalds because I had seen that they have a vege burger here (and a McRib which I thought Suz would like but probably not us!) but when we went to McDonalds for dinner they didn't have any vege burgers. I'm not sure if they were sold out or if they don't make them anymore but that was a bit disappointing. We had dinner there anyway since at least you can see what you are getting, easier than trying to figure out a restaurant menu!

We stayed the night at a motorway place since they are easy to find and we don't have to go looking around the countryside for them. There were a few other campers there and heaps of trucks. We have seen more trucks in Germany than anywhere else I have ever been, I don't know if they all just go through Germany or what but they are everywhere all the time.

View from the top of the cable car

Old school graffiti

Part of the castle

We are at it!

Mmmm German sausage

No comments:

Post a Comment