We packed up after breakfast and headed to Saint Moritz which wasn't too far away. On the way we stopped to play in the snow for a bit which was cool. It's the middle of summer but there is still a bit of snow around, I bet they have so much of it in the winter! I saw a sign that said we were about 2100 metres above sea level. You could go on a gondola to 2800 metres which must be pretty high! I have seen a million gondolas everywhere here, it would be pretty awesome to go on one.
We stopped in Saint Moritz for lunch, it is a place that rich people like to go so it had the obligatory shops like Chanel, Michael Kors, Miu Miu etc, not that we are interested in them! We got some picnic food and went to have a picnic next to the lake. We had some potato salad, pasta salad, cheese (which looked like brie but tasted a bit like butter, maybe a bit too creamy for me!) and some awesome bread which had cherry tomatoes baked into it. We watched the ducks while we had lunch, there were a couple of ones we hadn't seen before which were all black with white beaks and white faces. There were also tiny fish jumping about and a person went swimming in the lake which looked freezing!
We have seen a lot of people going for walks in the mountains, and a lot of bike riders as well. It is raining as we are driving and I write this and I just saw a guy biking up the mountain looking pretty unimpressed about it. We just found a place that we might stay for the night. It is up in the mountains with snow around and a river and waterfall next to us, pretty amazing setting for a camp! I have seen some no campervan and no tent signs around but I figure since we are just in our van and not taking up any extra room we should be all good to stay wherever we want. I guess we will find out if someone comes and tells us to move anyway!
It is nice to have it rain again, although I hope it doesn't rain heaps for the rest of our holiday! I can't belive that we have been travelling for 42 days already, it's so crazy. And only 12 days to go, it is quite sad. Hopefully we will find jobs quickly but not too quickly once we get back to London because I will need some time to adjust from just doing whatever I want! It's a bit misty here now which makes everything look interesting, like the mountains are hiding in the fog. Luckily we have hot chocolate if it gets too cold! And some fresh spaghetti with pesto for dinner, yum! Then tomorrow we will get to go and see more of Switzerland. Apparently it is 70% mountains so I guess that is what we will be seeing!
We both want to come back, maybe in the winter and go see more of Switzerland since we are only going over the right hand corner of it on our way to Germany. I would love to go up Jungfrau (something like that) to 'the top of Europe' and also see Bern and Lucerne but we didn't have enough time to go over that way on this trip. It's good to see where we would want to go back to though. We also want to go down to Naples and Pompeii at some point, maybe next trip! And also sailing in Greece. So much travel plans to make!
We ended up being the only ones staying the night at the place we chose but there was a camper across the road from us by the lake and a few more down the road so we weren't totally alone. We drank the last (3 bottles!) of our wine from Italy which we chilled by putting it in the waterfall which worked really well, it was delicious. We had spaghetti with tuna and basil pesto for dinner, so good! It is Quentin's favourite meal. Oh yeah and where we stayed was 2363 metres above sea level, crazy!
| Snow time! |
| The lake at St Moritz |
| Church by the lake, pretty awesome! |
| The lake across the road from where we stayed |
| View from the van on one side |
| Walking in the snow area |
No comments:
Post a Comment