We had sandwiches for breakfast and then kept driving to Nice. We parked near the centre of the "old city" which according to lonely planet was the best part and went and looked around all the markets there. They have millions of restaurants and food stores as well as an outdoor market most mornings. They had a cheese stall but I had to stay away since we can't have heapd of cheese in the van or it will get stinky! Basically every food place sold moules and frites which is mussels and fries, gross, but everywhere. They also do a lot of moules marienere and seafood platters, also gross. The things we like best in France are the baguettes and paninis! They are everywhere as well, like almost every second shop! I think that all of France is a bakery.
We also checked out a cool old church in Nice but it wasn't as cool as the one in Marseilles. Then we headed on to Monaco because it was freaken boiling, like mid thirties, and I was sweating like a beast! I think we have found where all the richies are in the world right now! We saw so many super yachts, plenty of mega yachts, and even two super mega yachts! They were about 7+ stories high and basically almost cruise liners, I am not sure what kind of people own them but they must cost billions! We had lunch on a steep tall hill overlooking a harbour filled with millions of massive boats. Some people were skinny dipping down the hill from us. A lot of people seem to not wear a top at the beach, but mostly old ladies. This time I saw a man who was naked and I saw his butt.
It didn't put me off my lunch though, I had greek salad (because I had been craving feta, and since we have been here I think I have eaten olives every day!), a mediterranean couscous salad, weird carrot salad where the carrot was all floppy, and some coleslaw, super yum lunch! Also health points. We went on into Monaco after that and just drove around looking at stuff. So so many fancy cars, and also when we went past a country club I saw someone who looked like Daniel Craig but most likely was not. Then we were suddenly in Monte Carlo so we checked that out too, more of the same super rich cars/houses/boats. Heaps of the cars have blacked out back windows so could totes have celebrities inside and we wouldn't know!
After we were done with that we went waaaay up the hill from the beach to the aire we would stay at for the night. It was packed with trucks since it was the last aire before Italy, but there was a seperate bit for cars which was almost empty. The view was super amazing and you could see (probably) all of Monaco. We hung out in the picnic area reading a bit and the only other people there were three dodgy looking guys smoking and talking in a language I didn't know, maybe they were gangsters! Then we had some dinner (salad for me, big baguette for Quentin) and were watching the third season of skins. I started hearing noises that sounded like a train going over the tracks which seemed to go on for ages which I thought was a bit weird since I hadn't seen any trains but then Quentin said it was fireworks and I was like, duh, of course! So we had to get up and watch them. They had already been going for ages and seemed to go on for ages more, like soooo much longer than the Wellington ones, and they were awesome! I wondered who had put them on, if it was Monaco or just some richie, or if someone had got married!
Also one of the mega yachts was all lit up blue at night which looked awesome. When the fireworks (finally) finished all the boats were blowing their horns about it and we went back into the van which was completely overtaken by mosquitos and tried to kill them. We killed so many we thought it would be ok to go to sleep but we kept getting bitten and killing more and trying to sleep and getting bitten and so on for the whole night! I have so so many bites now and only got to sleep from 6am to 8am when it got too hot :(
| Justice! |
| All the buildings are so cool! |
| The beach at Nice |
| More beach, so popular! We don't think anyone goes to work over here. |
| So romantic! |
| Just a massive thing made inside the hill |
No comments:
Post a Comment